SCHOOL INDUCTION :: Day 4 - Back to Back Classes : The Best Day


Today, I truly understand the importance of a teacher. Yes, it was yet another unforgettable day in my life. I realised that we needed to treat each class according to their age and reach out to them accordingly. I learned a lot and came to a lot of conclusions.
As it was Saturday, many teachers were on leave. Thus, we were allotted for those classes,since i got an opportunity to take substitution classes too.

"We do not learn from experience... we learn from reflecting on experience," said John Dewey. Today's trip demonstrated how true this is.

I arrived at school a little earlier than usual. At 9:20 a.m. Me, Roshan, and Sruthi went to 8-G, where we had shared a class.Timing of the class was 9:30 am to 10:15 am.

I took the class first; I have to take the rest of yesterday's class. Today I presented two questions on chart paper as teaching aids. There were 25 people in the class.First of all, I did a small revision of the class I took yesterday. I tried to convey to the students two or three things that should be noted while doing the frequency table. I completed the portions allotted to me. My topic was "Another form of tabulation." A question was resolved with the students. A homework were given.

I felt that I could take the class better than yesterday, but I realised that there is still a lot to improve on. Roshan took the class after my class. He took the class very well. "Histogram" was his part. Later, Sruthi gave a summary of the statistics chapter we completed. We brought the 10th chapter statistics to the students of class 8. At the end, I advised the students that they should try all the questions in the textbook and not hesitate to do questions in mathematics.

 At third period, Me. Fousiya and Sruthi went to 5-B. From there, I got to know the level of 5th grade students. It was a great class.There were nine students in the class. They were very active.We got to know everyone. There were two Safnas in the class. Safna S and Safna RS.Both of them were the most active in the class. Sruthi introduced us first. Then she played a game with the children, "Statues Game." Sruthi says one should feel an emotion and stand like a statue while feeling that emotion. All the students looked at me and said that Amal Sir should also be in the game. So I participated in the game as a 5th grader. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love small children very much. Let's start with two teams, as said by Moderator Sruthi. The next problem was deciding which team I would be on. All the students said that I should stay on that team. Then Shruti said that after every round, Sir will change to the next team. So in the first round, I stood with a team. When I asked the students to name the team, my team members said "Amal Team." Then those in the other team said, "Sruthi Team." I was amazed. How smart all the kids are... Then the game starts, and my team loses in each round. The game was very interesting. The Atlast Sruthi team won the game. All the children said that Amal sir is not good. Look how innocent they are. After that, I also organised a Game. Sruthi joined a team.The name of that game was "Chain of Words." One team says a word, and then the other team has to say the next word by touching the last letter. If it repeats, the other team gets a point. The game went very interesting. Both Safna's were very active. In the end, again, the Sruthi team won. All the kids made fun of me again.I was enjoying all this. Fousiya managed the last session.She sang a very beautiful song to the students. And then a short story from the Ramayana.I noticed that she narrated the song and story at a child's level. All the students liked it very much. We and the children seemed to enjoy the hour. I just wish I was a kid again...

At the 4th hour, I got the opportunity to take a session at 7-B.For the first time, I managed a whole class alone. That was very special to me. Students in the class were very friendly. They were always active, they listened to me, and I felt very comfortable in the beginning itself.There were 18 of them. Everyone's first paper was Sanskrit and Arabic. The timing of that period was from 11:45 to 12:30.First of all I got to know everyone.
 I asked them to take a piece of paper. My plan was to write it down thier yesterday's diary. But they refused. They want to play the game.Then I suggested that we play "Acting Game," and they agreed. One movie name is told to one of the team members by the other team. That guy has to act and show his team. I divided the students into two teams. They suggested their team name too. The names were "Squads and Stars." Everybody was very active. The Squads team started, and both teams played very well. The game was very interesting; at last, the Squads team won by 3-2. Then I asked them, "Who would sing a song?" Everyone said that a student named Akhila would sing. Akhila sang, and her song was very beautiful. After the song, I asked them if we could play another game. They themselves suggested a game. I was not familiar with the game and found it very interesting. One team should sing one song, and the other team should sing the rest. Squads  won this game too by 3-1. By that time, the bell had rung. I left the class after telling all the students. The students said that sir should come next period. My experience during this period was indescribable.This was a new experience for me. I was overjoyed.


In the afternoon, all 13 of us sat down to eat and talked about our experiences. It was extremely pleasant.Krishna Kumar Chetan is the best comedian in our class. He is also with us. He is a department candidate, who teaches Malayalam in LP classes. We used to laugh a lot listening to his jokes. We used to call him KK Sir.Next period KK sir's class is in 8-E.


It was a shared class of Malayalam optional. That class was managed by KK sir. I also observed that class. I could see many qualities of an experienced teacher. Even though the class was in the afternoon, he conducted the class very nicely. He recited the verse 'Manikyaveena' and presented the ideas very clearly. Sir's class was very interesting. I was able to observe my fellow student's class too.

Next period I was alloted to 10-E. 10th class students went on tour so there were only 3 people in that class. Met them,asked their ambition. One wanted to be  Teacher, one wanted to be Doctor and the other wanted to be Pharmacist. They also asked me for details. I told them what is B.Ed and why we are here. I advised them in the light of my experience.

The details were shared with the headmaster. He said that he should come to this school for teaching practice. We took a photo with him.

I was truly enlightened by the students' love. Many of the students I met in class said their goodbyes on their way home. "Sir, come to their class on Monday," some said.
All this really excited me. The day that made me want to become a teacher, The day I got confidence that I can be a good teacher,The day I realized that my calculations about being a teacher were all wrong.The day I wished school induction would never end, The best day.

Comments